Friday, May 4, 2012

2.Comfort food - Dahi Bhaat with Sandgi mirchi

A big Hi to the blogging world!

{ Iam Supriya..a brand new blogger,created my blog last month only....my blog is still in testing phase.

Dahi Bhaat with Sandgi Mirchi is my first ever article to be uploaded for the event....

Cooking with Love~ Dad

o

of Sara's Corner -She introduced it as a tribute to her grandmother.Each month guest blogger host an event where the main theme is to cook for a relative. The theme of this month is to cook for our beloved dad....guest hosted by Nayna's Simply Sensational Food  -..This one proved to be very dear to my heart as it brought my childhood memories back to life..Hence it is tribute to my dear Papa..I have never participated in blog events before and this being my first one Iam very excited and happy to post.

Thanks Nayna for hosting this lovely event!

Kindly forgive me at some point if I do any mistake..Of course Iam bound to do that ...and let me know if you have any suggestions regarding this..}

Meaning of comfort food can be stated as, Food that soothe the soul by reminding us of comforting childhood memories....Very true ...it is the food prepared traditionally that have nostalgic or sentimental appeal.

I remember my childhood days...Dahi Bhaat from dad's plate was my favourite since I was a kid. Everyday at least 1 spoon of dahi bhaat from dad's dish at the end of the dinner I used to enjoy and then only I would complete my dinner and feel contented.Today also if he will offer it to me I would love to eat it...Being in US I miss my dad's plate.

This dish is Maharashtrian cuisine and ultimate one very easy to make and can be enjoyed in any season, Love for this has been passed through generations...live example being me in front of u...

Coming to US only I got to know what exactly comfort food is....from Arnav's (my baby) doctor.Thanks to doctor for his informative lecture on it which showed distinctive trends relating to age,region,location and ethnic upbringing and love of Americans towards this food...how very dependent they are on it?

The information that I would like to share with you all from American Readers Digest is...America's favourite comfort food item includes peanut butter,Jelly sandwiches and grilled cheese that topped the list followed by meat loaf,mashed potatoes,fried chicken,macaroni and cheese,sphagetti and many more...

Coming to my comfort food,,Dahi Bhaat.... is simply a curd rice.I called it as comfort food as is very Easy,Quick and Simple to make.Moreover is it highly nutritive as it contains both milk as well as dahi.

Dahi is full of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, protein and other nutrients. It controls hypertension and improves immunity.Daily consumption of curd increases the level of gamma-interferon in the body.The curd not only protects our body from bacterial infection but it also prevents food poisoning.

It also prevents the formation of ulcers. Ulcers are produced by the various bacterias present in our stomach. Curd is helpful in controlling these kind of bacterias. The bacteria present in curd has the capability to destroy the ulcer forming bacterias.

Curd is a good source of calcium.Hence try to include this dahi bhaat everyday in ur diet.Curd also improves digestion. This is very helpful in the treatment of stomach troubles. Curd prevents burning sensation in the stomach, constipation etc.

Curd is a natural blood purifier. Its consumption reduces the skin diseases. It also improves the texture of the skin. Curd acts on skin as a natural bleach. Curd reduces the harmful effects of sun radiations.If you massage your skin with curd daily before bath and keep it for 10-15 minutes, the complexion of the skin gets lighter and the skin becomes soft and marks free. Thus all my dear friends especially all girls... it acts as beauty agent...

Milk--is a nutritious, cost-efficient source of protein, minerals and vitamins.I think all are wellknown with its benefits for the health of child and adolescent both.

Coming to sandgi mirchi used as flavouring agent in rice over here-- is stuffed dried spiced chilli--filled with variety of spices generally liked and made by marathi people only.You can enjoy it either simply by deep frying or by serving it along with curd rice,mix with raita or you can use it in Dadpe pohe or while making chiwda.Its appearance is similar to mexican green chilli that we get to see in American shop.

Mirchi is generally stuffed with powdered mixture--masala made up of coriander seeds,mustard seeds,hing and salt.You can add sabudana to it if you want to enjoy during fast.Also it includes curd in it.

Dahi bhaat made by mixing this sandgi mirchi tastes awesome! You can enjoy it either for dinner or for lunch.U can prepare this mirchi at home or can get it readymade from the shop.

Method to prepare it at home:

1.Grind Coriander Seeds(300 gms), Mustard seeds(1 cup and handful more), Hing(4 Tbsp), Salt(50 gms) to very fine powder.
2.Wash and dry green chilies
3.Make a vertical cut in middle to all chilies.
4.Stuff the grounded powder in the chilies tightly.
5.Sun dry for 4-5 days . Store it in airtight Box and use it as and when required.

Note:You can deep fry or shallow fry this chili and eat or can add into tadka and use it in Koshimbir or raita.I used it in dahi baath where it tasted the best!

Recipe of Dahi bhaat with Sandgi mirchi:



Ingredients:
1 cup cooked rice
1 medium sized deep fried sandgi mirchi.
3/4 tablespoons of Sweet dahi
1/2 cup milk
salt as per your taste.

Method:
1.Take a big vessel for mixing.
2.Add cooked rice to it.
3.Finely crush fried spiced mirchi in it.
4.You can add little bit of oil also which was used for frying your chilli in your bhaat.
5.Now add dahi and milk.
6.Taste it and then add salt to it as your mirchi also contains heavy amount of salt in it.
7.Now mix together everthing and its done!

Isnt it too simple and quick...can be made within no time if u have sandgi mirchi readily availableat home.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to bloggyworld, your post is informative and very good. Thajnkyou for linking this lovely recipe to the event.

    ReplyDelete